The editors of Women's Health get to taste test a ton of new snacks. (It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.) This year, we set out to name one product our Editors’ Pick of Snacks Week 2019—and the Black Bean Brownie Batter from the healthy meal and snack subscription service Hungryroot quickly emerged as an office favorite.
There are a few things we knew we were looking for in the ideal snack:
- An ingredient list with whole foods. Some snacks that tout plant-based ingredients on the labels don't actually contain much of them (tricky but true). With Hungryroot's Black Bean Brownie Batter, the first ingredient is actually black beans. Other items on the ingredient list we can get behind: unsweetened almond butter and sesame tahini.
- A healthy dose of fiber and protein in each serving to make the snack satisfying. With the brownie batter, each 2-tablespoon serving contains 2 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein.
- Not too much sugar or unhealthy fat. Brownies with a sugar count in the single digits are basically unheard of, but this batter has just 7 grams per serving. There are also no trans fats and 1 gram of saturated fat.
- Amazing flavor. In an office sampling, everyone agreed that the brownie batter tastes nothing like black beans. It felt every bit as indulgent as traditional brownies, whether baked or eaten straight from the container (which you can do safely since the batter is egg-free).
The Black Bean Brownie Batter from Hungryroot meets all of the above criteria—to the point where one WH ed said she had only one word to describe it: phenom.
If you want to try the Black Bean Brownie Batter for yourself, Hungryroot offers three weekly subscription plan options:
- Small ($69 - 3 or more two-serving meals, plus snacks or other individual items)
- Medium ($99 - 4 or more two-serving meals, plus snacks or other individual items)
- Large ($129 - 5 or more two-serving meals, plus snacks or other individual items)
Visit hungryroot.com to learn more.